Saturday, November 9, 2013

Methi Mattar Malai

I love anything made with Methi leaves. this I think is an acquired taste! And one of my all time favourite dishes made out of methis is Methi MAttar Malai. I have tried different versions of this available on the net but loved this one from Tarla Dalal's Punjabi Subzi's cook book. 

I learned cooking from Tarla Dalal's cook books and one thing I have learnt is if you follow her recipe to the T you cannot go wrong.

You need:
Methi leaves - 2 cups cleaned and chopped
Boiled Green peas - 1 cup
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
onion - finely chopped 1/2 cup
Tomato pulp - 1/2 cup fresh
Milk - 1 1/4 cup
Fresh cream - 2 tbsp
Sugar - 1 pinch
Garam Masala - 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil

To Be Ground Into A Smooth Paste (using Little Water)
Onions - 1 medium sized
Green chillies - 3
Ginger - 1" piece
Cashew - 10 unbroken ones (medium sized)
poppy seeds - 2 tsp soaked in 2 tbsp milk for 10 mins


Method
Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
When the seeds crackle, add the fenugreek leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the fenugreek leaves and keep aside.
Add 1 tbsp of oil in the same kadhai, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame till they turn translucent.
Add the prepared paste and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
Add the tomato pulp and garam masala powder, mix well and cook on a medium to high flame for 4 - 5 mins till the mixture starts leaving oil from the sides
Add the green peas, fenugreek, milk, sugar, salt, fresh cream and approx. 2 tbsp of water and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
Serve hot with phulka

This is off to the CC Challenge November Edition - Week 2

16 comments:

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said...

Such a delicious gravy! I also love Tarla Dalal's recipes and they are fool proof every time.

Poornima Molri said...

Lovely recipe.... wonderfully made

Vinitha said...

You are right about the acquired taste - I can barely handle them. I just enjoy them in paratas or dishes where the flavor is hidden

Manjula Bharath said...

very very inviting and delicious curry :)

Priya Suresh said...

Give me some rotis,i'll happily have this delicious methi matar malai.

Suja said...

It's been a long time,since i made this - thanks for reminding me about this delicious dish. Healthy & Tasty!!

Padmajha PJ said...

Methi is my fav too. Lovely gravy...

Chef Mireille said...

great you did this..so sad she is gone now

nayana said...

I just love this dish, so perfectly made by you....

Srivalli said...

You know I have something exactly the same planned out for later..though from a diff source...good one..

Vijayalakshmi Dharmaraj said...

wow such a delicious gravy... Will have it with poori or chapathi...

Manjula Bharath said...

wow that a very very delicious combo and looks so inviting dear :)

Usha Rao said...

This is one of the recipes I am thinking of cooking for the tribute post for her. After seeing your post, I leaning on going ahead with this recipe. Gravy looks delicious!

Janani said...

Yummy tasty gravy so good.

Harini-Jaya R said...

Love this and is very popular at home!

Pavani N said...

I make a slight variation of this curry.. Love this delicious curry.