Sunday, October 13, 2013

Ottu Shyavige

All of us love Ottu syavige in my house, so on one of our trips to Puttur I went out and brought the shyavige muttu. But the process of making it is soo long and tedious.. and how much every I have tried I just could not get the consistency right every time.

Couple of months ago when I went to mom's house she made syavige for us and said she has learnt a new method through her friend and has written down the process for me :) I took the  recipe and tucked it away in my bag and forgot all about it!



Last week found the recipe and here is how it goes:

You need:
Raw rice - 2 cups
Boiled rice - 2 cups
Salt

Method:
Soak the rice seperately for 4 - 5 hrs
Grind it into a fine paste in the grinder / mixe to idli batter consistency (pouring consistency)
Add salt and mix well
Grease the idle moulds with little oil
Pour the batter into idli moulds and cook it in the idli maker for about 20 - 25 mins.
Remove the idli from the mould and stuff it into the syavige maker
Press / turn the machine to get fine noodles.
Super easy :)

To Serve:
You can serve it with Kayi haalu
Sweet version - adding jaggery and scrapped coconut
Make chitranna and serve
Serve it with Avials

Notes:
Ensure you soak the rice seprately
Do not soak in boiling / hot water. Water must be at room temp
Press the idlis when they are hot, else you might need some muscle power to do it
You can use chalkkuli making machine (use the thin sev palte) if you are soaking 1/2 cup of rice each. This will be enough for 2 people.

This is off to the CC Challenge of the month Week 2


19 comments:

Manjula Bharath said...

wow very very well made string hoppers dear :) fantastic recipe !!

Seema Ballal said...

thanks for the recipe will surely try this.. i will buy the chakuli press next time when i visit india and will let u know how it came.. i love this a lot

LK said...

Instead of idly you can make kadubu and when it is still hot put it to Semige muttu and press you get it the same way , preparing kadubu is easier than too many small idlies.

Swathi Iyer said...

Delicious, I love rice string hoppers a lot
My website: Zesty South Indian Kitchen

Chef Mireille said...

wow- perfect noodles

Shree Rao said...

LK that is what I did.. pored the batter into the glass. .they are the exact size of muttu holder :)

Vinitha said...

They look amazing

Srivalli said...

Looks so wonderful..I remember the many childhood spent trying to get the perfect idiappams..:)..now somehow we no longer make it..the strings have come out very perfect!

Shree Rao said...

Thank you all for your wonderful comments :)

Shobha Kamath said...

Wow! This is really easy way of doing the string hoppers. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Shobha Kamath said...

Wow! This is really a nice and easy way of making "Shevige" and it has come out perfect. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Shobha Kamath said...

Wow! This is really a nice and easy way of making "Shevige" and it has come out perfect. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Sapana Behl said...

Wow ! Very nice and interesting recipe ..

Pavani N said...

Yummy looking string hoppers..

Priya Suresh said...

Making prefect string hopped is definitely an art, they came out simply awesome.

Harini-Jaya R said...

Wow perfectly made string hoppers! I also tried my hand and they make a delightful breakfast!

Smitha Kalluraya said...

i too do shavige the exact way but my proportion is little diff. i use boiled red rice 4 glass n raw rice 1 glass.4:1 proportion .

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said...

Looks lovely and so perfectly made. I remember my childhood days when we used to take turns to help my grandmother!

veena krishnakumar said...

I remember my aunt would make this when I was in raichur...brought back memories!Looks awesome