Sunday, October 20, 2013

Chole Batura

Do you remember the Tarla dalal show which used to come on TV long long ago. I have this book where I have religiously noted down the recipes which she used to prepare on the show. Chole Batura was one such recipe in my book but I have never dared to try it as I used to feel it is such a lengthy procedure.. 

I saw this Chole Batura recipe on Mane Adiga on Suvarna TV couple of weeks ago. For this week's CC challenge I decided to brave this.. This is my first attempt at making this recipe and the chole tasted yummm, Batura was tasty ans soft but did not puff up as expected. May be I need more practice :)


You need 


For the Batura:

Maida - 2 cups
Sooji (chiroti) - 1 cup
Soda - 2 tsp
Salt - as per taste
Curds - 1 cup
Oil - 1 tbsp
Oil - for frying
Sugar - 1 tbsp
Water

For Chole:

Chick Peas - 1 1/2 cup (soaked for 5 - 6 hrs)
Onion - 1/2 cup puree
Tomato - 1 cup puree
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tbsp 
Chole Masala -  1 tbsp
Garam Masala - 1 tbsp
Red Chillie powder - 1 tbsp (as per taste)
Jeera - 1 tsp
Oil
Salt

Method:

Take enough water in the cooker, water should be enough to just submerge the chole. Add a tea bag to the cooker. Pressure cook for 4 - 5 whistles.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in tha kadai
Add jeera
Once it starts crackling add the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes away
Add the onion and fry again till the raw smell goes away (on med to high flame)
Add the Tomato puree and mix well
Add chole masala, garam masala, red chillie powder and salt and fry till oil starts leaving at the side
Add 1 cup of water to the mixture and bring it to boil
Take a handful of cooked channa, add 1/2 cup of water and grind it into a fine paste.
Add this to the kadai mix well
Add the cooked channa and mix well
Add another 1/2 of water if required and cook covered on medium flame for 5 - 10 mins.

For the Bature

Add curd and oil to maida, sooji, soda and salt.
Mix well. Add little water as required and make a dough (consistency should be that of chapati dough)
Rub oil on dough ball and let it rest for 45 mins to 1 hr
After an hour heat oil in the pan for deep frying.
Take a big lemon sized ball and roll out into a circle using the rolling pin.
slowly slip it into the oil
Deep fry till the baturas puff up and both sides turn golden

Serve hot with Chole, onion and lemon wedges

This is off to the CC Challenge of the month Week 3

14 comments:

Chef Mireille said...

what a great combo

Vijayalakshmi Dharmaraj said...

Yum batura...

Vinitha said...

I love chole batura and the one reason I don't make it is it is too time consuming :( Kudos on the attempt

Manjula Bharath said...

very very delicious chole bhatura :) looks so yummy !!

Srivalli said...

Nothing like chole batura, so good that you finally made it yourself..very nice combination!

Priya Suresh said...

Would love to inviting myself to ur place, beautiful combo.

Padmajha PJ said...

That's a match made in heaven!!!

Priya Srinivasan said...

those big chole baturae's used to be childhood favorites!!! now my kiddo too has that wide opened eyes for that big puffy poori's!! Damn delicious!!

Priya Srinivasan said...

those big chole baturae's used to be childhood favorites!!! now my kiddo too has that wide opened eyes for that big puffy poori's!! Damn delicious!!

Pavani N said...

Yup, I used to watch Tarla Dalal cook on Sony TV years and yeard ago. I don't think I have the book where I noted down the recipes though :-(
Chole bhatura sounds so amazing.

Harini-Jaya R said...

A classic combo. love it..

Usha Rao said...

Batura preparation daunts me a bit and always end up making puri instead.

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said...

Classic combo! Very well made :)

veena krishnakumar said...

This combo looks so delicious!!