Sunday, September 15, 2013

Bol Koddelu

This is one of my all time favorite sambar that my mom used to make. And every time I have made this or my MIL has made this I always felt there is something different, so I called mom today and asked her how she makes it and voila I found out what I was missing..



You need:
Brinjal - 1 cup cut into 1" pieces
Lady's finger - 1 cup cleaned and cut into 1" pieces
Toor dal - 2 tbsp cooked
Sambar powder - 2 tsp
Tamarind - 1 lemin sized ball soaked in 2 tbsp water
Green chilli - 3 slit into 2
Jaggery - 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1 pinch
Coriander - 1 sprig
Salt
Cocnut oil - 1 tbsp

Seasoning - mustard, hing, curry leaves and red chillies

Method:
In a pan fry the ladies finger on med flame for about 4 - 5 mins.
In another pan take 3 cups of water
Add tamarind juice, Jaggery, green chillies, Turmeric and coconut oil
Add the ladies finger and let it cook on high flame for 4 - 5 mins (till bhindi becomes tender)
Add the Brinjal pieces and cook for another 4 - 5 mins on high (till brinjal is cooked)
Add the sambar powder and let it boil for another min or 2
Add the cooked dal and salt and cook for another min or 2
Season with seasoning ingredients
Garnish with Coriader and serve hot with rice

No comments: