Friday, December 30, 2011

Bye Bye 2011.. Welcome 2012 - Eggless Dates Cake

What an year.. with so many highs and lows.. and even through I have not blogged as much as I wanted.. I am happy that I could make time to pursue this passion of mine. A big thanks to my family for being there and becoming guinea pigs for all my kitchen disasters. I love you all :)

Here I am back today with another Cake recipe. I told you baking is addictive :)

My brother had got a big box full of dates when he came from Dubai this time. 7 different varieties of dates in one box. I did not even know there were that many different varieties!!

Anyway I started surfing the net in search of a good Dates cake recipe. I was not sure on the proportion of sugar and dates so wanted something fool proof and eggless and landed here.

I made a few modifications to the recipe

You need:
Dates - 18 deseeded
Milk - 0.75 cup
Sugar - 0.5 cup + 2 tbsp
Allpurpose Flour - 1 cup
Curd - 0.25 cup
Baking Soda - 1 tsp
Almonds - 1 tbsp sliced thin

Method:
Soak the dates in boiling milk til it becomes soft
Grind the dates + milk + sugar into fine paste
Pre-heat oven to 350F/180C
Grease the cake tin
Sift the flour and baking powder
Fold in the paste slowly
Fold in the chopped Almonds
Pour into the greased tin and bake for 30-35 mins or till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
Cool it for 15 mins and then remove from the tin
Allow it to cool for another 30 mins

I sprinked powdered sugar on top :)


Here are couple of my favorite recipes that I did this year.





I am sending this to the Virtual Party 2012 hosted by Lora and Sanjeeta KK




10 comments:

Rebecca Subbiah said...

lovely cake and they are amazing from Dubai

happy new year

Rebecca

Karen said...

I've never tried dates...this looks like a great way to do so! Glad to meet you through this virtual party!
Happy New Year!

EA-The Spicy RD said...

Your cake sounds delicious! Happy to celebrate this virtual new years eve with you. Happy New Year!!

Elizabeth @Mango_Queen said...

Great recipe! I love dates and this one sounds yummy! Great recap, so good to do this Virtual Party with you! Happy New Year!

Shree said...

Same here ladies.. Thank you for visiting.. Happy 2012 :)

Terra said...

You cake sounds wonderful! I love when my Mom makes date bars:-) Happy New Year! Hugs, Terra

Chris said...

I adore dates! My problem is they never last long enough for me to get them in a recipe. :) I don't have a filter on my mouth. ha! Now, if I can behave, I would love to try this cake....sounds and looks delicious.

Lovely "partying" with you! Happy New Year!

dudut said...

this looks so easy to make :)

glad to have met you in this virtual party :)

happy new year!

Sanjeeta kk said...

Thanks for joining the #Welcome2012 with all of us, wonderful to see the recap of these scrumptious recipes from 2011.
Glad to connect and looking forward for more foodie fun this year. Love.

Priya said...

Marvellous and super healthy dates cake..