Sunday, June 6, 2010

Saagu for Poori

This used to be the regular breakfast at my MIL's house on Sunday's when I came into this family after marriage. My MIL is not much into experimentation. So in these 10 yrs there has been no variation to this recipe :)

You need:

Boiled vegetables - 2 cups (carrots, beans, potatos, navilu koosu (kohlrabi) cut into 1 cm cubes)
Boiled peas - 1/2 cup
Lemon - 1 juice extracted
Salt
Oil.

To be ground into paste
Onion - 2 medium thinly sliced
Hurigadale (roasted channa dal) - 1 tbsp
Green chillis - 4
corainder - 1 tbsp
jeera - 2 tsp
Coconut scraped - 3/4 cup
coriander leaves - 1 tbsp chopped



Heat oil in a pan.
Fry Onion till it becomes translucent.
Let it cool for 2 mins and grind with all the other masala ingredients into a fine paste.

Take the vegetables in a pan.
Add the masala. Add 1.5 cups of water
Mix well.
Cook covered on medium flame for 5 mins.
Take the pan off the flame. Add lemon juice.
Mix well and serve hot.

4 comments:

Sushma Mallya said...

Very nice recipe for saagu...perfect with chapathi or puri..looks yum sree

Rach said...

I love saagu with poori. It makes me nostalgic about my childhood memories. This one looks so Yummm :)

Srivalli said...

Saagu looks great..will have to try this way too.

Micheal said...

Its so delicious and my favorite food.
Oetker Whip It