Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Capsicum Carrot Chutney

My FIL asked at 7:30 "Can we have Rave Rotti for dinner today?" and I am like ok I think he got scared I will again do some experimentation and make him and my dear R the Guinea pigs :). I know R wants some sort of chutney with the Rotti there was no coconut in the house.. I had already prepared tomato chutney yesterday. So I logged on to the net and started searching the recipe for Capsicum chutney. Armed with the recipe of roasted bell pepper chutney from Meera, I asked Aunty to get the capsicum out of the fridge. When I opened the cover I saw 2 halves of leftover capsicums!! It was already 8:15 and here is what was cooked in my kitchen yesterday :)

You need:
Capsicum - cubed 1/2 cup
Carrot - grated 1/2 cup
Onion - Cubed 1 medium sided
Red chillis - 6
Urad dal - 2 tsp
mustard - 1 tsp
green chillis - 2 slit length wise
curry leaves - 4
tamarind - small ball with 2 cm diameter
oil - 1 tsp
slat

Heat oil in a pan.
Add mustard when it splutters add urad dal, red chillis, green chillis, curry leaves.
Fry till the urad dal turns light golden in color.
Now add cubed capsicum, carrot and onions.
Fry till onions becomes translucent and carrot looked cooked.
Remove the pan from the flame and allow the mixture to cool to room temp.
Grind with little water into a fine paste.
Serve with Rotti or dosa.


Expert comments from MIL:
Adding a little more Urad dal (fried) will give a nice aroma to the chutney.
Tastes great with Rice and little oil :)




This goes to Priya's "Healing Food - Onion", an event started by Siri.



6 comments:

Priya said...

Beautiful combo for chutney..

Shree said...

I was bit skeptical about the combo.. but it came out very well :)

Rachana Kothari said...

What a lovely chutney! Bookmarked!

Apu said...

Beautiful chutney!!

Vidhya said...

Capsicum chutney is new to me... I will try it. Good combo.

Micheal said...

Thank you for sharing a recipe of chutney.
Stroopwaffles