Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Baalekaayi koddelu (Raw Banana Sambar)

Again I have been soo irregular in publishing my posts :(
My promise to myself from today will publish at least once in every 2 days..

I love this fruit.. Think this is one of the most versatile vegetable / fruit available. In my home almost every part of this plant is used to make tasty dishes :) MIL is sleeping (courtesy of my daughter's restless night) so my turn in the kitchen. I took out the banana from the fridge thinking I will make banana fry. .ended up doing koddelu.

Here we go with the recipe:

Raw banana - 2 cubed
Tamarind - 1 small lemon size soaked in water
Jaggery - 1 tsp
Dal - cooked 2 tbsp
green chillis - 3 sliced (slit into 2)
coriander leaves for garnish
Salt

To grind (with little water)
Coconut scraped - 1/2 cup
Coriander - 2 tbsp
Jeera - 3 tsp
red chillis - 4
onion - chopped 2 tbsp

For oggarane (Seasoning)
mustard - 1/2 tsp
red chillis - few broken
curry leaves - 4 - 5
oil - 2 tsp

Pressure cook dal and banana seperately.
Heat 2 cup of water in the pan.
Once it starts to boil add the tamarind extract, jaggery and green chillis.
Add the dal and cooked banana. Cook for 6 mins.
After 1 min add the ground paste.
Mix well.
If the koddelu looks thick add a bit of water and allow it to cook for 4 - 5 mins.
Add salt mix well and cook for another 3 - 4 mins on low flame.
Switch off the stove
Garnish with Oggarane and chopped corinader. Serve hot.
Goes well with chapati and rice.



Note: I have reduced the quantity of water that I have added as I served this with chapati today.

1 comment:

Apu said...

This looks delicious!!