Thursday, March 19, 2009

Tondekayi Gojju (Tendli Curry)

Tondekayi - one vegetable which I do not know how to cook.. every time I try cooking something with this.. the recipe goes for a toss!!! So this time I was determined to make something good..

I decided to make Tondekayo Gojju by Sushma . Copied the recipe, decided to follow it step by step, but alas my hate-hate relation with tondekai continued!!!! I forgot to soak the tamarind and it was already 6, so decided to use tamarind powder.. now this is the first time I am using tamarind powder went ahead and aaramse put 1/2 tbsp. .yeah you can guess what would have happened :( So did some quick "maduve" to the original recipe and my DH's comment was "hmmmm.... chennagide kane". Beautiful.... chapati + sabji ready in the carrier by 6:20..

Here is my recipe

tondekayi - 20 cut in fours.
coconut grated (fresh/frozen) - 1/4 cup
Green Chillis - 3
khus-khus/gasagase - 1 tsp soaked for 5 mins in hot water
tamarind powder - 1/2 tbsp
Milk - 1/2 cup
Cashew - 5 soaked in hot water for 5 mins
Onion - 1/2 chopped
salt according to taste

For tadka/oggarane/tempering
curry leaves - 4
red chillies - 2
saasive/mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Bengal gram - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1.5 tsp

Method:
Microwave the tondekayi on high in the MW for 5 - 7 mins.
Make a paste of coconut, tamarind powder, khus-khus, Green chillis.
Heat oil in a broad kadai.
Saute the onions till they become pink.
Make a paste of the onions and cashew.
Heat remaining oil in the kadai.
Add mustard seeds, when the splutter add bengal gram, curry leaves, red chillies
To this, add the coconut paste
Allow the mixture to boil. Add salt.
Put tondekayi to this boiling mixture and cook it for 2 more minutes
Add milk and onion cashew paste.
Cook on high flame for another 3 mins or till the gravy thickens.
The gojju is ready but serve it after 30-45 minutes so that the tondekayi absorbs the masala properly.



Pheeeeeeeewwwww!

4 comments:

Asha said...

Looks delicious. I love Tondekai. I do have a Tamarind pd, you have to use very little. tumba ogaru agutte jasti hakidre! :)

Kitchen Flavours said...

First time visitor to your blog. Nice to know that you are also from Bangalore. Iam also from Bangalore. Tendli Gojju is somthing new to me. Will try to make this soon.

Shree said...

@Ashakka, tsp and tbsp confuse aaythu!! anyway new recipe aaythu finally :)

@KF, Thanks for the visit and comments, let me know how it came :)

Sushma said...

Happy that you tried preparing the tondekayi gojju..
Your version needs to be tried soon :)