Thursday, March 5, 2009

Suz do pyaaza

I am a great fan of Tarla Dalal's cooking. When I first starting cooking (after marriage of course :) )these were like bible for me.. One thing you can be sure about Tarlaji's recipes are if you follow the recipes till the last P.. you can never go wrong with the taste. My brother used to tease me saying "why don't you buy yourselves a kitchen scale, then you can measure everything properly!!". He is one who is open for a lot of experimenting in the kitchen.. Now as my confidence has grown in my own cooking, I also have started adding this and removing that from the given recipe to suit my palate.

Subz do pyaaza, as the name indicates you add onion twice in this recipe. Once as paste and once as a vegetable.

Ingredients:

1 cup vegetables - beans, carrot and potato cubed and boiled
onion cubed - 1/2 cup
tomato - 1 large pureed
garlic - 5 cloves
onion - 1 large chopped
turmeric powder - 1 tsp
coriander powder - 1 tsp
jeera powder - 1 tsp
red chilli powder - 1 tbsp
garam masala - 1/2 tbsp
Oil - 2 tsp
salt for taste

Method:

GRind the chopped onion and garlic into a fine paste
Heat 1 tsp oil. Add the cubed onions and saute till they change color. Remove them and keep aside.
Heat 1 tsp oil and fry the paste till the raw smell of onions and garlic goes off and the paste starts becoming light brown in color.
Add the tomato puree and fry for 1 min.
Now add all the dry masala and fry for 4 - 5 mins or till the mixture looks completely cooked
Now add the cubed and boiled vegetables and sauteed onions.
Add 1/2 cup of water bring to boil.
Cook on low flame for 4 - 5 mins.
Serve with roti or rice.

This is what I made for my hubby's lucnh box today:

No comments: