Thursday, March 26, 2009

Masala Toast

Nostalagia time - Flash back to 90's, It is nearing 5:30 in the evening of a monday and suddenly the quite street errupts with the shouts and clattering feet of people running. The gate of House No. 27 is kicked open and you hear the rush of 2 sets of feet moving towards the centre of the house. You hear one of the small people shouting "Amma hotte hasitha ide.. beega tinlikke kodu aata aadokke hoogbeeku...." (Amma, I am feeling hungry.. quickly give me something to eat.. I have to go and play) this first voice is endorsed by the second one busily changing out of school uniforms.

Mom: Irro, 15 mins eenaadru maadi kodthini.
1st voice: Amma time illa.. bakery inda eenaadro tandu bidla

Mom: mooru hottu horaginadde tinnokke aasee. iru 10 nimisha mandakki oggarane madtha iddini, tatte li haaki kodthini
2nd voice: Amma please please bakery inda tagondu barthivi.. puff ella beeda baree toast tartivi..pleeeease

Mom: Hmm Baree toast tarabeeku. And she used to give money for 3 toasts 1.5 for me and 1.5 for my brother. My mom agreeing to buy us toast from Dharwad bakery This used to be a rare scenario at my home.. but on those days when she used to agree me and my bro used to be on 7th heaven :)

I have tried and lot of recipes to prepare the masala toast that they used to sell in that bakery in those days, this is the nearest that I could get..

You need:

Brown bread - 4 slices
Onion - 1 med finely chopped
Tomato - 1 med finely chopped
Carrot - 1/2 cup grated
green chillies - 1 cut into thin slices
Lemon Juice - 1/2 lemon squeezed
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tbsp
Rasam powder - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 4
Salt
Oil
coriander leaves for garnish

Heat oil in a pan
Add mustard seeds, when it starts spluttering add curry leaves and green chilli
Add onion and saute till onion till it becomes pink in color
Add tomato, red chilli powder and Rasam powder
Saute till tomatos are almost cooked.
Add the carrot, salt and 1/2 cup if water
Cook on med flame till carrots are almost cooked.
Cook on high flame till water is completely evaporated.
Remove from flame.

Now take the bread and lightly toast it on the tava.
Take a spoonful of the above mixture and spread it on the bread cut into half and place one half over the other.
Masala toast is ready to eat :)



This is my entry for Sangi's "FIL WITH FOOD - tomato" event.

1 comment:

Ashwini said...

wow love those toasts..very tasty and yummm..It has been long since I have eaten this..Thank you Shree for reminding..