Monday, March 9, 2009

Dates biscuit

Dates biscuit

I had a bog of lion dates lying in my shelf from a loong time. Didn't know what to do with it.. so was googling around for some recipies. I got this recipie from Divya's blog. My first attempt at making cookies :) The cookies came out well and my MIL said they are tasted better than GD biscuits.. Grt compliment indeed. Thanks for the wonderful recipie...

Maida - 2 cups
Baking powder - 1 teaspoon
Salt - 1 pinch
Butter - 4 tablespoons. I took the butter and kept it in microwave for 1 min.
Sugar - 1/4 cup
Chopped dates - 1/2 cup
Milk - 1/2 cup
Melted butter for glazing

Directions

Preheat the oven to 250C
Mix the flour, salt and baking powder. Rub in the butter until it resembles bread crumbs.
Stir in the sugar.
The dates that I had were not the hard ones.. I could not mix them with the flour so I put the dates + Milk in the blender and ran the blender for 45 sec.
Add this to the flour mixture and mix well to form a dough. Do not knead to much..
On a lightly floured surface knead to form a dough.
With a rolling pin knead the dough to about 3/4 th inch thickness.
Cut into circles or to the required shape.Gather all the remaining dough.Roll out again and cut into circles/required shape.Do this with all the dough.
Transfer them to a baking sheet with about 1/2 inch gap between each..
Glaze with melted butter and bake for about 10 - 12 minutes until the biscuits have risen and turned golden brown.

Note: I rolled the dough to about 1/4 inch thickness and made a few cookie with this. My family liked these better than the thicker ones. So make both and see which one you like.

No comments: