Thursday, March 12, 2009

Dal Palak

Its cold outside.. The cold air blowing in through my kitchen window feels good after days of humid hot weather here in namma Bengalooru.. Hope it rains some... Today morning I heard the next door kid reading his lessons loudly and suddenly realised that his exams are going on. I started remembering the days when we used to do the same.. I am an early raiser and my brother will not get up till 8:30 in the morning. During exams, he used to sit and study till 12 or 1 in the night and I used to get up at 3:30 in the morning.. Both of us used to say that we can read better if we sit in the living room with TV on :) I can still remember my mom's mutterings.. she used to say that as our exams get near she hardly gets around 2 hrs sleep!!!! Woh bhi kya din the!!!!

Dal palak and Daliya rice is my LBR for today. Hubby darling likes dal a lot. I always wanted to try out Dal palak and here is how I did it..

Ingredients
Masoor dal - 1/4 cup cooked in the pressure cooker for 3 whistles
chopped palak leaves - 1/2 cup
Onion finely chopped - 1 med
Mustard - 1 tsp
Jeera - 1 tsp
Hing - 1 pinch
Green chillis - 2
Turmeric - 1 pinch
curry leaves - 5 leaves
Coriander leaves - 1 sprig
Salt
Oil

Method:
Blanch the palak leaves in hot water.
Heat oil in a pan
Add mustard, when it splutters add jeera, hing, curry leaves and slit green chillis.
Add onion and saute till onion turns slightly pink in color
Add the cooked and mashed dal along with the water, bring to boil.
Add the palak leaves cook on high for 2 - 3 mins.
Remove from flame garnish with coriander leaves.
This along with Daliya is my LBR for today.



Dal palak daliya and Cauliflower channa curry

No comments: