Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Dappa Menasina Menaskai with a twist (capsicum mensakai)

My hubby darling likes home cooked food to what he gets in the office for lunch. What he takes for lunch depends on his mood and now a days it is pulka, subzi, salad and curd rice. The subzi has to be something gravy.. and all the subzi's that I frequently make at home have potatos in them. So I thought let me make subzis where potato are not the main ingredients.

Then I thought of Menaskai...

Menaskai is a sweet, tart and spicy side dish. It is an integral part of Udupi Cusine which adheres strictly to the vedic tradition of Indian vegetarian cuisine, using no onions or garlic. In my home for almost all pooja's and functions, Menaskai is a must. My brother prepares it with Pineapple and I just love it. In my mom's place is it usually made using mangos and bitter ground. In my in-law's house they have adapted this recipe to capsicum...

I like the extra something that peanuts give in maharastrian cusine. Added this as an extra twist to my mensakai.

So here we go

Capsicum - 1/2 cup cubed
Onions - 1/2 cup cubed

Black til - 1 tbsp dry roasted
peanuts - 1 tbsp dry roasted
tamarind pulp - 2 tbsp
green chillis - 4
rasam powder / sambar powder - 1 tbsp
coconut grated - 3 tbsp
Jaggery - 3 tsp
oil - 1 tsp
salt to taste

Curry leaves, mustard, black gram, red chillis and oil for tadka

Method:

Dry roast black til and peanuts.
Grind this with coconut grated, rasam powder into a fine paste
Heat oil in a pan
Add mustard. when it starts spluttering add black gram, curry leaves and red chillis.
Add onions and saute till onions turn slightly pink in color.
Add capsicum and saute for few more mins.
Now add 1/2 cup water, ground masala, jaggery and salt.
Cook on med flame covered for 5 - 7 mins or till gravy thickens.
Goes well with rice.

No comments: