Thursday, March 19, 2009

Broken Wheat Upittu / Baath

The other day my MIL made Bulgar bisi belebaath.. and it came out very well.. When I was telling my momn about this she told me Hey you can make upma, patrode, dosa a lot a stuff with Bulgar.. and as I had seen some nice recipes of B.Upma by my fellow bloggers I thought let me try making Bulgar upma for my DH's (Darling Husband's) breakfast dabba. Hmmm Upma for breakfast brings fond memories of my college canteens.. wednesdays we used to have class at 7 in the morning and a break at around 10. We used to go down to the canteen and Wednesday's special used to be Kharabath and kesari baath... The Khaara baath is nothing but vegetable upittu.. if you were lucky (or unlucky) you would see some vegetable pieces in it :) and lets me not scare you more by talking about kesari baath.. it would be khaara cement + sweet cement :)

Now coming back to my recipe of Bulgar Upittu, you need

Bulgar - pressure cooked for 3 whistles 1 cup
choppped vegetables - 1/2 cup (I used carrots, capsicum and beans). Cook in MW for 5 mins
Onion - 1/2 cup finely chopped
Tomato - 1/4 cup finely chopped
Green chillis - 3 slit length wise
Curry leaves - 5
Mustard - 1tsp
Bengal gram - 1/2 tsp
Lemon - 1/2
Coriander leaves for garnish
Oil

Method:
Heat oil in pan
Add mustard, when splutters add bengal gram, green chillis and curry Leaves
Add onion and saute till them become pink
Add tomatos and pre-cooked veggies
Add 1 cup water, salt and bring to boil
Add Cooked bulgar bring to boil.
Cover and cook on med flame till water evaporates.
Garnish with Lemon and coriander.

No comments: